Milk is a fundamental food in the diet of pregnant women. Its benefits are such that, unless the future mother suffers some type of intolerance, it is essential that it be part of her daily diet. These are the reasons why the pregnant woman needs to drink milk.
A good diet during pregnancy is essential to guarantee the health of the mother and the correct development of the baby. However, it is known that at least in Spain, one in two pregnant women does not reach the recommended intake of folic acid, iodine, calcium, iron and vitamin D.
During pregnancy, the energy and nutrient needs of the expectant mother are greater than those of a non-pregnant woman. This does not mean that the pregnant woman should eat for two, but that her nutritional requirements are different and that it is especially important to respond to them to guarantee her well-being and, above all, a correct development of the baby.
Within the diet, one of the essential foods is milk as it provides energy and high quality essential nutrients such as calcium, vitamin D and B vitamins among others.
In the report "Milk as a vehicle for health in special physiological situations: pregnant women" published by the Spanish Nutrition Foundation (FEN) together with the Ibero-American Nutrition Foundation (FINUT) and the Spanish Society of Gynecology and Obstetrics (SEGO) The reasons why the pregnant woman needs to drink milk are highlighted:
- Improves the nutritional status of the pregnant woman and has very beneficial effects on the growth and development of the baby.
- Its consumption not only improves the nutritional status of pregnant women, but also has beneficial effects on the baby's weight at birth.
- Milk can be an optimal and more natural vehicle for ensure intake of key nutrients, which have beneficial effects on the health of the mother and the baby.
- Milk is an ideal vehicle for the enrichment and fortification of the diet with certain nutrients, such as calcium, vitamin D or Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Studies with fortified and fortified dairy products show benefits on the bone health of the mother and her baby, and it seems that they could also have a positive impact on the visual and cognitive development of the child.
In conclusion, milk can be an optimal vehicle to develop fortified foods that help to ensure in a more natural way the intake of these key nutrients, which have beneficial effects on the growth of the baby and on the health of the mother and the future baby.
Source: Report Milk as a vehicle for health in special physiological situations: pregnant woman prepared by SEGO, FINUT and FEN
You can read more articles similar to Why does the pregnant woman need to drink milk, in the Diet category - menus on site.